President | Doug Ott Consulting, LLC
Doug is an executive coach, leadership trainer, facilitator and speaker. He leverages more than three decades of business development and leadership experience to help individuals and teams drive revenue growth. He provides leadership and business development consulting, one-on-one coaching, group coaching, practice group leadership skills development, strategic planning, workshops, and public speaking.
Throughout Doug's prior business development roles, he has trained and coached professionals in organizations ranging from small tech companies to large professional services firms. His unique diagnostics skills, energy and passion for his work enable him to connect with individuals and groups to execute customized, manageable, and sustainable coaching plans. He provides a blend of strategy and common-sense tactics that not only gives his clients a more focused approach but also long-lasting behavioral change.
Prior to Doug Ott Consulting, Doug spent the past 11 years in a business development coaching and leadership role in the professional services market. Doug was VP of Sales at Accretive Solutions where he coached and managed a national team of business development professionals. Before Accretive, Doug ran business development in the West Region for Deloitte’s forensic accounting group where he worked closely with CFOs, GCs, COOs, CIOs, and law firms. At Deloitte, he enjoyed spending time coaching Sr. Managers and Partners to help drive individual and group revenue.
Doug has leveraged his experience to coach and train professionals at firms such as Deloitte, Accretive Solutions, Guidepost Solutions, DLA, Orrick, Sheppard Mullin, Farella Braun, Kirkland & Ellis, Winston & Strawn, and Baker & McKenzie. He also enjoys sharing his insights through presenting to the marketing and business development professionals at the Legal Marketing Association.
When Doug is not coaching professionals, he enjoys coaching high school kids in the NorCal Highschool Mt. Bike League. He appreciates good wine and is an investment partner at a winery in Anderson Valley. He is an avid cyclist and skier, and spends most of his free time in the outdoors living with his wife, son, and three dogs in the mountains in Truckee, CA. He is fluent in German through his time living in Munich, Germany, and hopes to improve his Spanish fluency sometime soon.
Why Doug ott consulting
- Client Focused – My clients come first. Understanding the needs of the individual and their employer are paramount for crafting a successful coaching or training plan. Customizing plans that are pragmatic, achievable and sustainable are the backbone of my approach.
- Market Knowledge – I have been in the shoes of most of my clients when it comes to building relationships with similar buyers. I have learned over the years how to overcome the obstacles and build meaningful business relationships with people in key positions such as CEOs, CFOs, CCOs, CIOs, GCs, Controllers, Directors of Internal Audit, and Heads of Litigation. I continue to maintain wonderful relationships with many of these people today.
- Leadership Experience – I have been an executive at several companies where I have reported directly to the CEO and had to master the skill of managing down as well as up. I understand the importance and challenges of reporting to a Board. Most importantly, I have benefited working with cohesive leadership teams, and faced the difficulties of working with dysfunctional leadership groups. These experiences allow me to empathize, identify gaps and guide leaders and leadership groups.
- Results Driven – I have always been driven by results in my work. I teach my clients the importance of the What, Why, How, and by When as it relates to goal setting and executing. This strategic and structured approach gives my clients a realistic framework from which to work.
- Rich Experience – Business Development is in my blood. My 30-year career as a business development executive has taught me how to show others the road to a successful business practice. My extensive experience as a coach and advisor shines through in the success of my clients. I excel at working with my clients in a strategic, tactical, empathetic, and supportive manner.